Two Uses For Taco Meat
Awhile back, I participated in a neighborhood freezer cooking exchange and received some compliments on my taco meat. So I decided to share that recipe with you today and let you know two ways I’ve used this meat.
Ingredients for Taco Meat
2.5 lbs. ground beef
3 large tomatoes
2 small cans of chopped green chiles
1 can of El Pato Jalepeño Salsa
1 can of El Pato Salsa de Chile Fresco
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. ground red pepper
The secret ingredients are these cans here:
Steps to Make Taco Meat
1. Brown ground beef over medium heat. Drain fat. Season it with the spices.
2. While beef is browning, chop onion and jalepeños. For less heat take out the ribs and seeds of the peppers.
The easiest way for me to chop an onion is illustrated below. I learned this from watching Rachael Ray. I cut the onion in half through the root end and peel away the sides. Then, cutting parallel to the lines and perpendicular to the root end, I slice from one side to the other…keeping the root end in tact. Then, I cut perpendicular to those slices and the onion just chops off and I toss the root end in the trash.
3. After draining some of the fat away and seasoning the meat, push the meat to one side of the skillet. Add the jalepeños and onion to the pan to let them soften.
4. Then add the chopped tomatoes and dump all the remaining ingredients into the skillet and allow everything to warm up.
First Use For Taco Meat
Half of this taco meat can be placed in a plastic freezer food storage bag and labeled for use at a later time. Lay it flat in your freezer to save space. (You’ll want to do this once the meat has cooled.) I ended up packing this taco meat for this road trip and buying the remaining ingredients for tacos once we were there. It saved me a night of cooking while on vacation.
Second Use For Taco Meat
Continue on with this mexican lasagna recipe with the remaining taco meat.
1. Gather up a lasagna or deep dish, greek yogurt or sour cream (You can substitute sour cream with greek yogurt.), shredded mexican cheese blend, corn tortillas, and fresh cilantro. You’ll need to chop the cilantro.
2. You will layer corn tortillas, taco meat, cheese, and cilantro repeatedly until you have filled up your dish or run out of meat.
3. Cook it in the oven at 350° F for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. (Everything is already cooked.) When it comes out, you can top it with sour cream or greek yogurt and more cilantro!
The idea for this dish came from a Pampered Chef party I attended a few years ago when the consultant made a mexican lasagna with chicken, however, this is my own recipe.
What is your favorite taco meat recipe?