These photo magnets are made using the negative cards from pictures ordered through Shutterfly. I’ve always liked the small photos and think you could use them for so many different things, so I decided to give personalized magnets a try!
Materials Needed for Photo Magnets
Negative Sheets From Shutterfly
A Foam Brush
Magnetic Adhesive Dots (Test the strength of the magnets before using them. After you make these, you want to be sure the magnets are strong enough to hold things on the fridge. Otherwise, they might fall and get broken.)
Clear Flat Glass Gems
Steps to Make Photo Magnets
1. Choose which negative sheets you would like to use. Remember that when you are tracing around a gem for one picture, you will be writing over the pictures surrounding it on the sheet, so you can’t use every picture from every sheet.
2. Place a gem over the chosen photo and spin it around until you like how it is framing the picture. Then trace around the gem with a pen.
3. Use the scissors to cut out the selected photo, but don’t lose the gem you used for that picture. Set the photo and the gem to the side together, so you don’t reuse that specific gem for any other photo.
4. Continue framing, tracing, cutting, and pairing up desired photos with gems.
5. Stir Mod Podge and use according to directions on the label. I used a scraper and pressure to smooth out bubbles between the photo and the gem.
6. Allow the pictures to dry. I actually let mine sit out for a few days before moving on to the next step.
7. Using super glue, adhere magnetic dots to the back of each picture.
8. Allow glue to dry.
9. Use the photo magnets for decoration on your fridge or give them as gifts to relatives or friends!
Have you ever created something with the pictures left on the negative sheets?